4/7/12

Slitscan Test 004: Phosphorescent 1st attempt


Yuri Endo 2012

For this  experiment, I attempted to video capture a Munny doll with Phosphorescent coating to create new slit scan material. Given the fact that  phosphorescent materials store light and release it slowly, I was hoping to capture a series of unique images combining this glow-in-the-dark effect and slit scan technique. 

According to a source, phosphorescent objects are recommended to be photographed/filmed just after being charged with a UV light source and have to be captured as fast as possible since phosphorescent pigments loose 75% of their brightness within 30 seconds of removing the charging light. 

As I did not own a UV light source, I used a LED module with 4 chips to light up the Munny, turn it off and quickly rotate the Munny on the fan 360°. As you seen in the first image above, when it was photographed in a quick manner, I was able to capture rather strong phosphorescent effect, however, when I video recorded it (the second image is a frame excerpt after applying the slit scan effect), it lost its glow in about 10 seconds and posed a serious complication as a slit-scan material.

Through this trail,  I came to realize that the phosphorescent materials might not be suitable for slitscan, however, I will further seek for better outcomes using this particular material.

Reference: Glow in the Dark Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment