3/23/12

Slitscan Test 001


Yuri Endo 2012




For this first slitscan experiment, I initially decided to create slitscan images without relying on automated process that are available, such as an After Effects plugin (Time Displacement), ImageMagik, Slit-scan Movie Maker and Slit-scan Camera for Iphone. During my first trial, I took 360 pictures of a wooden artist's model rotating 360° on a tripod, then load all the images to Photoshop as one document so I could select a 1pixel high low with Single Row Marquee Tool, mask it, create a mask for the next image down then offset the mask vertically by 1 pixel, which means, in order for me to complete one image, I had to apply the same process to each 360 photo. It goes without saying, I gave up on it by the time I reached around its 30th image.

In short, many other trials and errors after, thanks to Mr.  Charlie Visnic, I finally succeeded in processing my first slitscan images with After Effects (without using the plugin). Although it does not necessarily mean that I managed to take the high way by my own, it definitely helped me understanding the mechanism of slitscan.

Above images are the extracts from two different experiments I tried out following Mr. Visnic's instructions;

>img. 1-2  The Wooden Artist's model and tripod used
>img. 3-11 Center slitscan, traveling right to left (2-pixel each frame)
>img. 12-34 Candence slitscan, traveling up to down (2-pixel each frame)
>img.  35-37 Candence slitscan, traveling up to down (1-pixel each frame) 

No comments:

Post a Comment